Saturday, March 5, 2011

I'll sit the bench!

I titled this blog, "I'll sit the bench!" because that was my goal concerning Bronson 6-8 months ago.  I wanted to be able to sit on the bench at the park and watch both of my boys slide down slides, climb the ladders, and pretend they are on a big pirate ship, on the park's jungle gym.  It warmed up this past week a little bit, so I took the boys to the park, and guess what....I sat the bench!  Bronson ran around, climbed the stairs to the slide, while holding the railing...no crawling, climbed the ladder all by himself, walked across a platform (with sides...don't worry) that you could see the ground through. (last time, sensory-wise, this was too much for him, so he would crawl across).  He did it!  This is a picture of him climbing the ladder!  Don't worry, the grumpy expression is one of concentration not irritation. :-)
We got done with TouchPoint 2 weeks ago, and it was a great program.  Bronson surprised me, along with his therapists, with how much information he retained, and how much he craved it!  He loved session time more than the play room!  He loves shapes, so anything they gave him concerning shapes, he was all about it.  He did great with block imitation, matching, imitating, etc.  I learned a lot with how to communicate with him.  I didn't realize how many times I repeat myself.  "Bronson, sit in your chair, Bronson, it's time to sit in your chair....Bronson, right here buddy, here's your chair, etc"  wow.  simmer.  I learned say it once!  Then guide them to do what you need them to do, otherwise you end up being Charlie Brown's teacher.  I also learned a technique "active ignoring", for bad behaviors.  And to constantly praise and get excited when he is doing something correctly.  It's natural to just go about your day when things are going right, and then say, "no, and stop" when things step out of line.  This is re-training your thinking to constantly notice and praise the good...so therefore it's reinforced.  I can use this with Brock as well, of course! :-)  This is a picture of Bronson stacking blocks at home.  He loves blocks as well.

Brock had fun at his preschool that he went to for those 2 weeks.  He's getting so big.  I can't believe he's going to be 5.  Brock is really good at leggos right now.  I can't even build the stuff he does.  He enjoys the computer as well.  He likes to play the games on playhousedisney and the veggie tales website.  Here are 2 pictures of some of Brock's leggo masterpieces.  The first one is of a boy, and the second picture is of a dog.



We've made it through another winter here, and ready for spring time, so we can continue to be outside!  Bring on the sunshine!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Our sweet babies are growing up and so smart and independent. Id say they are ready for school, great work with them, you are a wonderful. Mommy!!! Proud Nana

    ReplyDelete