Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Positive Reinforcement

1 Peter 1:13-14
"Prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance."

Two lines stuck out to me today when reading this. "prepare your minds for action"--our minds are so clouded with useless information, or distractions rather,...how can God speak to me, if my mind is too distracted to notice.  We have to make a conscious effort to quiet our minds. 

"As obedient children..."-- This stuck out to me b/c I'm a mom, and desire to have obedient children.  We are God's children, and of course He wants His children to be obedient, have good attitudes, etc...  One thing I do with my children is positive reinforcements.  Not bribes, but reinforcers. (a bribe is when you give the blessing before the task....a reinforcement is given after the task is completed...just to clarify)  I'll tell Brock that when he completes such and such, or if he can sit quietly during mom's meeting etc..., then we will have this reward, or get to do this. I desire for him to complete his task!  I desire for him to see the reward that I have in store for him!  How much more does God our Father want to give us HIS reward?  Simple.  Be obedient.  But, it's not so simple is it?  So often we want our immediate man-made blessing....when there is a much better one ready to be handed out by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment