Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Thank You" is for another day

I took the boys to the library today, and I usually let them check out a couple of dvds along with their books.  Bronson usually finds a Thomas the Train or Veggie Tales dvd that he likes, and then holds a death grip on it until we have to go.  When it's time to check out our books, I have to pry it out of his hands to let the lady scan and unlock the case.  During this time the "quiet" library is all staring at a screaming red face child.....who doesn't understand that he will eventually get the dvd back.  HOWEVER, today was thankfully different.

Bronson found a Veggie Tales dvd that he wanted, and I kept reminding him during the course of the library.."Bronson, you can take that home, but the lady is going to have to scan it first.  You are going to have to hand it to the lady".  I wasn't sure how much he was grasping, but nonetheless, it was check out time.  We walked up to the counter and Bronson WILLINGLY HANDED OVER THE DVD.  No questions asked.  I was amazed.  I said, "Good job Bronson!"

The library lady proceeded to go slower than molasses to check it out.  Bronson, not screaming, but insistently saying over and over below the counter...."tales, tales, tales, etc..."  "I know, bud, she's going to check it out and hand it back to you, good job.".  Meanwhile, I'm staring at her,...HURRY UP.  Then the 'all knowing' library lady tries to hand him a book mark to distract him.  Bronson throws the bookmark at her and says, "TALES!".  She asked me what he was saying, and I said, "He is saying Veggie Tales, if you could just please unlock it and hand it to him." lol.

She gives it to him and he smiles.  I was so proud of him!  Then the 'all knowing' library lady says sarcastically, "oh, was that supposed to be a 'thank you'?"  Expecting him to have said thank you to her.  Which probably a child that is his size and age, should, but she has no idea what a daily struggle or victory is in his life.  I just smiled at her and shook my head and said, "You know what?....I am so proud of him right now, for willingly handing that dvd to you.  You have no idea what a huge deal that was for him."  I look at Bronson, rub his head and said, "Proud of you, bud". 

Yes, "thank you" can wait for another day.
                                                                

5 comments:

  1. That's great! So proud of him... and you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry.

    agree with ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. You are such a good mama and you handled that situation beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. diana, you really are a great momma! Please keep posting for when I have children! I will definitely need this kind of perspective, grace and poise!

    ReplyDelete